I slept most of the day after my retrieval yesterday, so I'm just getting to this now!
So ER was yesterday. I reported to MGH at 930am. It took forever to get in to the city, so I was nervous that we'd be late. we arrived a bit before 930 though, so we were all set. The facility at MGH was beautiful. It's on the 10th floor of the Yawkey Building at MGH. Absolutely stunning view of Boston from outside the IVF suite.
Anyway, they take me back to a small prep/recovery room and I get in to my johnny. The procedure was scheduled for 11am so we had some time to relax/read while we waited for the retrieval scheduled prior to mine finish up. The nurse was very nice and made sure I was comfortable, etc.
We met with the fellow who works with Dr. Toth (the RE doing the procedure) as well as the anesthesiologist. I can't remember either of their names! anyway, they were both very nice. I am led back to the OR right at 11am. It was huge OR compared to RSC. They had me get up on the table and situated in these boot things (as opposed to stirrups, I guess). They started the anesthesia and talked to me while I passed out.
I woke up back in the recovery room and the anethesiologist told me that they got 6 eggs. I was immediately disappointed. I was expecting closer to 10. I hope that I didn't offend him, but I was so out of it at that point that I have no idea what I actually said to him. Once Mike came back in to the room, I told him that I was disappointed and started crying. The nurse came to see me and asked if I wanted to talk to the doctor. Dr. Toth came to see me a bit later and tried to explain that there were only 6 and that's all we need. He said that they expected less given all of the changes to my protocol and that it's in natures hands now. He asked me to try and be positive and give them a chance to help it work for me. I was glad that he came to see me - it was really nice of him, but I still couldn't help feeling like our chances of this working had been cut in half.
I cried on the way home saying to Mike that I don't want to have to do this again. I'm so sick of this ruling my life. I just want to be a normal pregnant woman. Mike tried to remind me that our friends who had success with MGH only had 5 retrieved and ended up with twins so all hope is not lost. Humph. Good point.
I took a long nap yesterday afternoon and felt a bit better when I woke up. Still sore though and felt like I had some fluid in my belly before bed last night which made me a little nervous. Slept a lot last night and felt a ton better today. Still sore, but it's manageable.
Judy (my nurse) called this morning around 945 to see how I was doing. I was surprised she called so early! She said that of the 6, 5 were mature and 4 fertilized normally. She said that I would tentatively be scheduled for a 3dt, but that I could potentially be pushed to a 5dt on Tuesday. I asked her about how she felt about my chances with only having 4 and she explained that MGH does things differently than a lot of other clinics and that they don't believe that you need to have 100 eggs to make IVF work. They purposefully are conservative with dosages to control the number of eggs you get. She acknowledged that it's nice to have some "in the freezer" but that we have enough to work with for right now. She called back 20 minutes later and told me that I am scheduled for 10am on Sunday and that they'll call early that morning to confirm whether we on for that day or if we're going to move to Tuesday.
So I'm still not thrilled with only having 4 embryos, but it is what it is. I know that it CAN work and it only takes one, but I just feel like I'm not lucky enough for this to work out for me. I had so much hinging on this cycle and now I feel like our chances of it working are so slim and that sucks. I don't know how I'd ever get myself psyched up to do this again. I guess that I need to not think about that right now. I need to try and focus my energy on my 4 little dish babies that are hopefully growing strong right now.
keep your fingers crossed for me!
I was actually feeling the same way you felt after my ER/fert report - they retrieved 18 eggs, only like 7 were mature & 4 fert normally. I was pretty down after that, but I got pregnant & am now 25 weeks along today. Keep hope - your hubby is right, it only takes one. I know that doesn't help how you're feeling right now, but it's very true!! GL sweetie - I'll definitely be praying for you!
ReplyDelete