So, who do you tell when you are struggling with IF?
As of right now, my mom knows everything. My sisters know most of it as does my mother and father in law, and my boss knows some because of my having to go on bedrest for OHSS. One of Mike's best friends from high school and his wife know that something is going on but that's because they struggled with IF for 3 years and they could just tell. We talked about it with them once, but that was it. I have some friends, but don't really have a best friend. I don't have anyone else that I would feel comfortable telling this kind of personal information to. Everyone that we have told has been extremely understanding, compassionate, etc. I'm also part of a private message board and do post about my experiences on there. Those women have been so wonderfully supportive and I suppose have taken over that role that a real life BFF would have.
In light of my sister in law's recent pregnancy announcement, Mike got in to a long talk with his parents about how they felt bad for us and realized that hearing that news must have been hard. Mike has two sisters and from what I know, they know nothing about our situation. Mike's mom said that they are starting to ask questions so we may want to think about telling them what's going on.
I'm not sure how I feel about that. I already feel like a weirdo in front of the people who do know like "there's the infertile couple" although I have no basis or good reason for feeling that way. I guess I feel like his two sisters are sort of the last frontier of our family and once they know then it's just really real. I don't get to pretend in front of anyone that our life is good and perfect and everything is going our way even though that is far from the truth. It's just nice to pretend sometimes.
Another thing about everyone around us knowing what we are going through is that when it finally does happen, we don't get to surprise anyone with the news of our pregnancy. Our families are just way too nosey for that. They'll know pretty much when we know and frankly, that just sucks. We'll never get to have one of those moments where you get to see the shock and happiness of telling your family that you're expecting. I was really, really, really looking forward to doing that. That dream has been sidelined.
So, I don't know. To tell or not to tell. That's the question today.
No comments:
Post a Comment